Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Bending Spine



Here I am bending over with the typical scoliosis bend check, this is a way to detect if one has it. This is the way I was screened when I was in 8th grade, the teacher (the nurses ran out of time with so many kids to screen) didn't see anything, but I thought I had it and insisted on going to the doctor, they x-rayed me and sure enough, I had it a little. It progressed quite a bit before I got the Milwaukee brace, with bars up the sides of my neck and a plastic cast around my body that I'd unscrew and velcro off for showers and swimming.

To check your spine take off shirt, bend over, and have someone review the spine. With scoliosis a deformity in the rib cage is noticeable - notice how one side of my back is higher than the other? It's scoliosis.

I call the left side "the hump" and that's where pain centers around "the spot" right next to my spine, I'd like to know which vertebrae that is, not successful in counting myself just yet....

No comments: